Saturday, June 13, 2015

Children are Survivors of DV too!

Children are effected by domestic violence and sometimes repeat the same pattern or are involved in the same pattern of abuse. There has been much research done to try and help children who have experienced abuse become free from the trauma which they suffered. Is this research ethical? Can laws proposed by the Criminal Justice system prevent such research? I took a look at journals and other publications just to see.

There are laws set forth to protect children who have been victimized by domestic violence. Some who do research try to see how they can help them without actually re-traumatizing them. I don't think that is possible. Therapy and counseling is traumatizing enough. I plan to research further to find more information on this topic to see how the Criminal Justice system and ethics helps to protect children from research that may have a negative effect on them.

I have attached a link to a journal article about that reference researching children of domestic violence. In my next blog, I will follow-up with the Criminal Justices approach to help protect these children.

 http://rea.sagepub.com/content/8/2/125.full.pdf+html

 This blog completed in satisfaction of the course requirements for CRJU 3060: Ethics and Diversity in Criminal Justice.




1 comment:

  1. Joyce I agree. Often times when we think of domestic violence we do not consider the effects it takes on children, not only physical but mentally. Nor do we discuss future problems that can ignite in a child, meaning they grow up to inflict the same abuse they witnessed or endured. I believe it is a very important subject that needs more attention than it is already receiving, because the children are our future and need o be taken care of.

    ReplyDelete